Holy Rosary West Seattle

Since 1909 Holy Rosary's mission is and has been to grow as disciples of Jesus Christ & help others, as we grow in love of our God and one another.

The history of Holy Rosary parish begins on a small plot of land is what we in the West Seattle community call "The Admiral District." It was in 1909 that the Most Reverend Edward J. O'Dea appointed Father Daniel A. Hanley to establish a parish in West Seattle. This new church was located at the northeast corner of Walnut Avenue and Hill Street and would be formed from St. James Cathedral. The new worship community would consist of 35 families and its boundaries would include what is now Our Lady of Guadalupe, Holy Family, St. Bernadette and St. Francis of Assisi parishes. So begins our experience of The House of God (Domus Dei) and The House of the People (Domus Ecclesiae). Big things have small beginnings.

Construction of the English Gothic style church, built entirely of Washington fir with a shake exterior finish, was begun June 6, 1909. Its supporting rafters were visible on the inside. We spent four years worshipping at this location.

Parish records indicate that Joseph Hector Wilfred Goulet was the first to be baptized at Holy Rosary on January 30, 1910. Other "firsts" were to follow. On June 22, 1910, Jacobus R. Kelly married Gladys Dickerson. Theirs are the first names to appear in the marriage register. The first entry in the Death Register on February 4, 1913 tells us that Marian Martin, a nurse at St. Joseph's Hospital in Tacoma, died of typhoid fever. Her gravesite can still be visited at Calvary Cemetery today.

In 1913, Hoy Rosary was on the move...literally! Logs were used to roll the church from its Walnut Avenue and Hill Street location to its new location at the northeast corner of California Avenue and Hanford Street. We worshipped here until 1937, when ground was broken for our present church. Our building and worship space on California Avenue eventually became St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church.

On June 6, 1937, the cornerstone for the new Holy Rosary Catholic Church, constructed in the Tuscan Romanesque style, was laid. Father James F. Lanigan, who was appointed pastor of Holy Rosary on December 5, 1924 (his 35th birthday), served as construction foreman of the project and it is rumored he was its prime architect as well.

Over these nearly 100 years, we've had our share of colorful priests. Our pastors have included Father Daniel A. Hanley (1909-1910), Michael J. O'Callaghan (1910-1924), James F. Lanigan (1924-1962), William J. Power (1962-1973), James van Gogh (1973-1981), James E. Mallahan (1981-1987), David Brant (1987-1992), Jeffrey L. Sarkies (1992-2006), John Madigan (2006-2015), and Matthew Oakland (2015-present). Almost fifty Assistants, or Pastoral Associates as we call them now, have served here. And, for a short period, we had a bishop in residence as well.

The House of God and The House of the People consist on many parts. All these priests needed a place to live and construction of the Rectory, now the Parish Office, was begun on June 1, 1927 and completed in 1928. In the days before the Rectory, the priests lived in two rooms in the school. Construction of our first school begun shortly after Holy Rosary Church was relocated to California Avenue. Thus began a 70-year legacy between Holy Rosary and the Tacoma Dominicans, beginning with Sister Mary Alberta as Superior of the school. Names we will always remember include Sister Mary Carmelita and Sisters Dolorosa, Laurentia, Virginia and Roberta. Overcrowded and inadequate housing led to the construction of the Convent (now the Parish Center) in 1947.

On May 16, 1986, ground was broken for Lanigan Center. At the time we thought it would be used primarily as a school gymnasium and parish multi-use center. On August 3, 1997, after fire extensively damaged the church, we learned the gym could also serve as our parish worship space. We spent eight months in exile there; but it wasn't the first time we were without a church building. It is good to remember that when our current school building opened in 1924, its auditorium served as the parish church.

After months of reconstruction, renovation and restoration following the fire, we were welcomed back to Holy Rosary Church on Passion Sunday, May 31, 1998. Most Reverend Alexander Brunett, Archbishop of Seattle, presided at the Rededication Mass. It was probably similar to the Mass of Dedication in 1938 or the Mass of Consecration in 1951, but it was a chance for us to see The House of God and The House of the People in the present day. It was a chance to see how the beauty of the space and the spirit of the people are a witness to the presence of Jesus in our midst. His presence will move us toward the future and will help each of us write our own chapter in the history of the parish. All together, all one in the Risen Jesus!

MLK jr. Day!
Take the 1st step in Faith...

[01/14/17]   Pastor’s Message:
On Thursday, January 19th at 7 p.m. I am going to start a series of classes on Catholicism 101 for six weeks, although there will be no class on February 2nd. The first class will be a general introduction and I will ask a very important question:

What do you want to learn more about Catholicism and explore?

The remainder of the classes will be principally decided by you – to answer the questions you have long held, to fill in the large gaps that we all have to the faith formation we received as children.

Faith is a gift – one we should never take for granted. Come and see, and go deeper together as a community of faith.

In Christ
Fr. Oakland

Holy Rosary is going to Panama for WYD come to an informational meeting to learn more!
Jan 12 or 20
7 PM
Both in the school hall!

Epiphany Home Blessing
One of the ancient practices of the Church is the blessing of homes on Epiphany, either by the priest or the father of the home, who acts as the priest in the Domestic Church of the family. This includes both a prayer, as well as the ‘chalking’ of the door lentil.

The initials, C-M-B, can also be taken as the Latin phrase "Christus mansionem benedicat" which means "Christ bless this house".

Laudato Si
A weekly tip on Caring for Our Common Home
Whether alone or with family or friends, take some time in the new year for a leisurely walk in a park or along a waterfront and appreciate the great beauty God has given us in all aspects of creation.

Blessing your children: It’s not just for sneezes

aleteia.org

aleteia.org     “God bless you!” During the Christmas break, when colds and flu start to peak, our houses may echo with the blessing of sneezing children. But the New Year is a great time to remember…

Northwest Catholic

Epiphany is coming, and we like these suggestions to celebrate. Have you ever chalked your house door?

Videos (show all)

Location

Style

Telephone

Address


42nd Ave SW
Seattle, WA
98116

Opening Hours

Monday 8:30am - 5pm
Tuesday 8:30am - 5pm
Wednesday 8:30am - 5pm
Thursday 8:30am - 5pm
Friday 8:30am - 5pm
Other Schools in Seattle (show all)
Puget Sound Community School Puget Sound Community School
660 S Dearborn St
Seattle, 98134

Turning Passion into Achievement.

Pacific Northwest Ballet Pacific Northwest Ballet
301 Mercer St
Seattle, 98109

Pacific Northwest Ballet's official facebook page.

8 Limbs Yoga Centers 8 Limbs Yoga Centers
500 E Pike St
Seattle, 98122

With four Seattle neighborhood studios, 8 Limbs offers over 100 classes a day with exceptional teachers, Teacher Training, Retreats, Series & more.

Language Institute at UPC Language Institute at UPC
4540 15th Ave NE
Seattle, 98105

The LI at UPC serves refugees, immigrants, and foreign students through ESL classes and home tutoring.

Pottery Northwest Pottery Northwest
226 1st Ave N
Seattle, 98109

The mission of Pottery Northwest is to develop and promote excellence in the ceramic arts. Pottery Northwest’s goal is to provide a professional facility in an educational atmosphere for the enhancement of skills in the medium of clay.

Seattle Country Day School Seattle Country Day School
2619 4th Avenue N
Seattle, 98109

The Ballet Studio The Ballet Studio
4556 University Way NE
Seattle, 98105

Ballet Exclusively, Adults Exclusively

Seattle Central Student Leadership Seattle Central Student Leadership
1701 Broadway SAC 350
Seattle, 98122

SCC Student Leadership We empower you to be active on campus and engage with the community.

TheFilmSchool TheFilmSchool
The Film Center, 305 Harrison St
Seattle, 98109

"TheFilmSchool is truly a life changing experience."

Gildenfire Dance Gildenfire Dance
10011 13th Ave SW
Seattle, 98146

Gildenfire Dance is based in Creative Movement, Modern Dance, Ballet and Yoga. Through games, songs, skill building and introduction to dance concepts, children gain balance, coordination, confidence and a love for dance.

Seattle Conservatory of Music Seattle Conservatory of Music
11065 Fifth Ave. NE, Suite A
Seattle, 98115

Founded in 1994 as the Pacific Northwest's first music conservatory, SCM has succeeded in educating aspiring classical music pre-college students to be confident and seasoned performers and musical leaders. Extension programs are offered for adults.

Seattle Wushu Center Seattle Wushu Center
5423 California Ave SW
Seattle, 98136

Wushu, Taijiquan , Filipino Martial Arts, and self defense instruction, serving West Seattle, Beacon Hill, South Seattle, Sodo Center, Burien, White Center